I have some rudimentary HTML skills (see below), adding links to comments left on other blogs and the like, but my impression is that it's not as important as it once was in terms of creating webpages and websites. After all, we're using Blogger, which allows us to add links with the click of a button and alter text as if blog entries were composed using Microsoft Word. Blackboard's interface is the same way. These kinds of interfaces are called "WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)," which is nice, since you don't have to worry about html code. Anyway, I had fun playing around with the HTML Tutorial.
As for the HTML cheatsheet, I have a confession: I've been using a similar webpage when posting blog comments with links in them.
CSS seems pretty cool, but I see the potential for abuse. Think of incoherent myspace pages where you can't read the text and the like.
The Library Hi Tech article, while a little heavy on the jargon, does a good job of showing the strengths and weaknesses of HTML, CMS (taging, metadata), and CSS (content control, structure, and presentation), tying it back to the earlier readings. The final paragraph on page 22 points out a knowledge gap among librarians regarding writing web pages, so clearly more work needs to be done, although the training of librarians was not mentioned in the conclusion.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You mentioned something that I have been wondering about. I would love to spend some more time learning it if I can find the time, but need I? I found it fun and rewarding to learn Latin, but not useful by any stretch.
Post a Comment