OAI stands for Open Archives Initiative, and aggregates metadata that is voluntarily provided by either service or data providers and repositories. Why do it? To provide access to a group of resources in a single location (and then of course to aggregate those resources somewhere).
The deep web is a term I've never heard used before, and given how dated this article is (two weeks of data in March of 2000 and I'm reading it in 2008?), I'm not surprised. What constitutes a deep website? I'm still not sure after reading the article. Is it a function of a website having limited points of entry, so that what appears narrow at the surface goes down to the proverbial ocean floor? Seems like that to me. Regardless, a Google search in 2008 will certainly bring up multiple sites within Amazon.com, eBay, NOAA...
Oh, and here's what OAI can do for you: http://www.oaister.org/
Oh, and here's what OAI can do for you: http://www.oaister.org/

4 comments:
I agree with you that the 2 part reading should of mentioned the battle between google and webpages. Many web pages are trying to find out the "secret" to googles page rank algorithm so that they can get there site high on the list. I completely agree with what you said that popularity should not be confused for accuracy. Some pages that rank high in search engine may not always be accurate.
I had some of the same questions regarding the deep web. From my understanding, the deep web has to do with academic websites that contain journal articles etc. which wouldn't necessarily come up on a Google search, but which undoubtedly contain more reliable information. I was also wondering why sites like Amazon and Ebay turn up on the list of deep web sites, because those are typically top results on a Google search.
Yeah, Google has to constantly fight to keep ahead of the website owners who are constantly trying to crack the code and find the secret. It's why so many people offering SEO (and "guaranteeing" top 10 placement). Pay per click is really the only way to guarantee anything, and that gets expensive!
I feel quite similarly about the Deep Web and the article we read about it...yes your right...written in 2000 yet we are reading it in 2008. I wonder if there are more updated articles on this out there and whether people who are into IT and soforth know more about it and how to access it.
Ditto on the battle between Google and Webpages, I wish they had touched on that to a higher degree, all they did was mention the sneaky things a page maker will do to draw a crawler to their site more frequently...i.e., white text on a white background.
Post a Comment