Thursday, November 19, 2009

Week Eleven Readings

A lot of big ideas this week. I’m not sure where to start with the UCLA piece, but we’ve read a lot of William Arms’ work this semester and I’m pretty sure that this was the best one. In this article Arms is a powerful advocate for users of digital libraries, who, at some base level, really want to use one and only one digital library. Another way of thinking of this is federation (EBSCO calls it integration). On the technical side, this means interoperability not just in terms of search protocols, like Z39.50, but in terms of interfaces as well.

Elsewhere Roush, that link doesn’t work – get it through ULS, vacillates between cheerleading the Google Book Search and giving some librarians a chance to express their reservations. I think he’s correct that public and private digital librarieswill coexist, with occasional linkages, although it seems like he thinks Google Book Search is public when, in fact, it is not. So much for Arms’ users’ viewpoint. He also fails to account for Digital Rights Management.

No comments: