Friday, October 2, 2009

Week Six Readings

We had an XML week in LIS2600 and it looks like we’re going to get it again in this class; I’m cool with that. Some things are worth hearing more than once.

Bryan’s article mentions the three things that go into an XML file: the processing instructions, which denote which version is being used; a document type declaration; and a document instance, which should be fully tagged, meaning it has matching tags at the beginning and ending.

Ogbuji’s article isn’t really an article per se, it’s much more a collection of links, and the tutorials he offers up are excellent – learning by doing is often the only way on the internet.

The link to Bergholz is broken, but Googling the title and author takes you to a pdf of what we’re looking for. His examples of XML are most welcome and helpful. I found examples 4 and 5 particularly helpful in terms of digital libraries – just think of it as more metadata.

Finally, I recall using w3schools a lot in 2600. Pretty much everything I’ve seen on this site has made me better understand markup languages. Bookmark it.

No comments: