In an earlier week I asked about Google Chrome, and here we are, discussing cloud computing.
This is an excellent overview of what cloud computing is and what it can do, but it doesn't mention the security risks of moving to the clouds. Nonetheless, the idea of computers without any applications, or even hard drives (more or less), or operating systems is very intriguing.
Ditto for the video, although some of the more nerdly comments point out that application providers themselves are not that new. But when those are coupled with hardware providers, and all of this takes place off of your CPU... well, that's new.
So, cloud computing for libraries with branches, for libraries in consortiums or other groupings... What do we think?
I think a lot of this is some arse-based futurism nonsense (after all, look at what was predicted in the '60s versus what we have now - there are no keyboards in any of the 60s sci-fi shows), but all the same the Recommendations for Libraries section is very much relevant, even if it was written by a man whose title is "Senior Futurist."
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Good call on the security risks of moving from cloud to cloud. I hadn't even thought of that, mostly because I'm pretty illiterate in this area; more to the reason that it should have been covered.
I too wondered about the security issues involved with cloud computing. Security will have to be excellent for a grand scale shift to this method of computing.
Post a Comment